Description:

Click here

Bandel Church

Bandel, (the name came from the Bengali word "bandar" which means "port") appears to have been the port of Hooghly. at the time of Portuguese and Mughals.  The only relies of the  Portuguese settlement are the Church(Basilica) and the monastery.  It is about 2 kms away from  the station 'Bandel'.  The present church and monastery are said to be built in 1660 by Gomez de Soto having the key stone of the old church bearing the date 1599 over the eastern gate of the Monastery.  In front of the Church stands a ship's mast which was presented by the captain of a vessel which had encountered a storm in Bay of Bengal and save by the grace of Virgin, the center of attraction.  There is the statue of" One lady of Happy Voyage" in the middle of the church.  The church has three altars, a small organ & several tomb stones.  

COMMUNICATION
By Rail :Bandel (Jn) station is the main station which is  connected with Howrah-Burdwan main line.From Howrah Bandel Local, Pandua Local, Bardhaman Local and Katwa Local & Memari Local have stopage at Bandel Station. Bandel is also connected with the Nahati (Jn) Station of Sealdah section by Bandel-Naihati Local. From Bandel St.to the Bandel Basilica(Church)  auto rickshaw,mini bus and richshaw is avilable. It will take  ten  to fiften minutes.
 Launch Service is available from Naihati Ferry Ghat to Chinsurah Ferrhy Ghat from 6 a.m.to 10 p.m.

                                 top

The Imambara building having a masonry revetment is situated on the bank of river Ganges at Chinsurah.  The place is nearest to the railway station "Hooghly" on the Howrah Bandel main line and from Hooghly station the rickshaw or auto rickshaw is available to reach the place.The building was started in the year 1841 by Haji Mohammad Mahasin & was completed in the year 1861 at the cost of Rs.2,17,413/- including a clock procured from England at  the cost of Rs.11,721/-.  The two storied building consisting ranged rooms having a wide entrance of  main gate flanked by two nos. of giant towers measuring 80 ft. tall & a massive clock tower in between them. A mosque, the walls of which are decorated by the texts from the Holy Koran and the interior of the  mosque is enriched with inlaid marble and careings, candle and lanterns.  The mosque is situated at the north side of the building.  At the south there is an enclosed compound where the graves of Md. Mohasin & his relatives are present.

Click here

Imambara

top

Click here
Fur Furah Sharif

In Jangipara a Sufi settlement established during Akbar’s reign. A mosque pre-dating the settlement was built by Muqlish Khan in 1375. Now a site for Muslim pilgrimage, especially during the Pir’s Mela every year.

 

 

top  

Kamarpukur 

Shri Ramkrishna Temple, Kamarpukur, Goghat: The birthplace of Shri Ramkrishna. The temple, built in 1951, is a site of international pilgrimage.

 top

Click here

    

             Tarakeshwar

 

 

top

It is the most important and oldest temple in Chinsurah.  From the Chinsurah Railway station it is about 5 Kms. to reach this temple.  The visitors can avail autorickshaw or paddle rickshaw to reach the place.  It is at the bank of the Ganges at the north of the Duttaghat. At 16th century Digambar Halder placed the Lingam of Shiva & afterwards the temple was established by Sidheswar Roychodhury. Dutch Governors presented a 'Dhak' made of brass which is still used in this temple.  There is also a Durga tmeple which was established on 1845.

      Click here

    Shanderswartala

top   
                               

Debanandapur

A village of Hooghly district about 3 kms. west from Bandel Station is connected by the auto service.  It is the birth place of 'Katha Silpi' Sarath Chandra Chattopadhay.  This village is one of the seven important villages named 'Sapta Gram' at the time of Mughals. On 17th September 1875 Sarat Chandra was born in this village.  The dwelling house of Katha Shilpi along with a separate drawing room is still present in the village.  A Library named Sarat Smrithi Pathagar including a museum room containing the used things of the famous writer is also present there. There are  also four 'Atchala' temples of 19th century present in the village.  An old'Dol Mancha' can be seen  for the interest in archaeology. 

top

 

Click here
 Hangseswari Tample

This is one of the very important temple amoung all the temples in Hooghly District & & seven in West Bengal.  The structure of the  temples is the representation of 'Tantrik Satchakrabhed'. This 5 storied 'thirteen ratna' temple is situated near the Bansberia and Tribeni railway station  both of which is on the Howrah-Katwal main line. Near to this temple there are also two other important temple named Ananta Basudeba Temple, which is decorated with very rich teracotta pointed plates and Swanbhaba Kali Temple built by Nrisinhadeb in 1788. 

                            top

  

The Brindavan Jew temple in Guptipara is actually a cluster of 4. 17th  century terracotta temples. Local legend has it that Clive visited this temple before the Battle of Plassey and presented one of his swords to the mahanta. Guptipara is also the site of a well-known Ratha Yatra. There is another cluster of three temples – Anandamoyee, Horosundari and Nistarini – at Somraa. The temple at Dakshineswar is said to be modeled on these. The Rass Mancha at Sripur Bazaar, a product of Vaishnava culture, has unique wood carvings.


 
Click here
Temples in Balagarh

top   
                               

Click here
  Nritya Gopal
 Smriti Mandir
 

Built on the Grand Trunk Road in 1860 by the zamindar Harihar Seth, this building is an example of the confluence of native and colonial styles of architecture. It now houses a public library. Harihar Seth’s own house in Palpara was built at the same time, with similar Tuscan columns and facades.

  top

Antpur Math

In Jangipara, Swami Vivekananda along with 8 other disciples of Ramkrishna Paramahansa took his oath of asceticism here. Maintained by the Ramkrishna Mission.

   top

OTHER PLACES OF INTEREST

It is situated at the middle place of Chinsurah town.  The four faces of which indicate the directions.  In 1914 'British' emperor the Edward established this steel made hollow clock tower resembling a tomb. On the top of the tomb there is aflag hoisting point.  In the four sides of which there are four beautiful lamp  sheds. The clock is  situated in the middle portion of the tomb.

Click here

     Watch Tower

    top   

  Suakhal & Moyur Mahal   

There are two picnic spots at the side of Delhi Road nearest to the Bandel station.  In both  the places people can enter by giving a nominal entry fee.  In addition to other facilities  boating also can be enjoyed in both places. At Suakhal there is an interesting science exhibition like  talking robot, danger cave etc. This place is maintained by Hooghly Zilla Parishad.

top 

Jafarganj Cemetery

About half a mile from the Hazarduari Palace is Jafarganj the ruined palace of Mir Jafar. The Cemetery contains the tombs of the Nawab's Nazim, from Mir Jafar to Humayun Jah. Mir Jafar's father Syud Ahmed Nazafi, Alivardi Khan's sister, Shahkhanum, Mir Jafar's widows, Munni Begam and Babbu Begam, Mohamed Ali Khan, the brother and Ismail Ali Khan and Asraf Ali Khan, the sons-in-law of Mir Jafar, lie buried here. This cemetery was built by Mir Jafar, over an area of 3.51 acres.

           top  

 

Click here

Joy Krishna Library

The library was established by the famous Social-reformer and Zamindar Joy Krishna Mukhopadhyay in the year 1261 (according to Bengali New Year).  The first free of cost and  largest reference library in India at that time. 

                                                                                                                                top 

Of all colleges in the district imparting general education, this college founded in 1818, is the oldest. Its first governing body consists of Willam Carey, Joshua Marshman, William Ward and the Danis Governor of Serampore. Its syllabus was designed as “ Eastern literature and Western Science”. From the very beginning there was a Theological department for training of Ministers for the Christian churches in India along-with the other wings. In 1827 King Frederick VI of Denmark granted the college a charter of independent university as Copen Hegen and Kiel, conducting the 3- year Bachelor of Divinity, 2- year Master of Theology and the Doctor of Divinity courses. Now a part of this college has been changed to the museum.  

Carey Museum is still in it formative stage. It is to preserve the reminiscence of founders, but it also presents a vivid picture of awakening of Bengal during the years of its renaissance.

Click here

Serampore College

top  

 Click here
The Church of St. Olaf

A Lutheran Church in Serampore, consecrated to the patron saint of Denmark. Built by Colonel Bie, the Danish Governor, in 1805. William Carey conducted the first service here.

top 

The Rev. Monsieur Barthet laid the foundation in 1875. This two-storied church with Florentine-style stained glass windows was completed in 1884 and the inaugural service was conducted by the Rev. Dr. Paul Goethals.

            Click here
Church of Sacre Coeur
               de Jesu

top  

 Click here
 
The Hooghly Collectorate

The Hooghly Collectorate was originally built as a barracks for Dutch soldiers in the late 18th century. The District Gazetteer notes that there were originally tunnels to the river for clandestine loading and unloading of boats, as well as dungeons. The western rooms on the ground floor are said to have been used at one time as elephant lines. The Dutch Officers were quartered in what is now the Circuit House.

top 

It was inaugurated by His Holiness the Dalai Lama in February 1985. Has a beautiful garden and statue of the Buddha.

              Click here
Buddha Temple, Deulpara

top  

 Click here
Light house tomb,
     Parbatichak

It was constructed between 1745 and 1750 during the reign of Ali Vardi Khan as a watchtower to warn of Maratha raiders. Subsequently used during the cartographical survey by the British.

top

The residence of the Divisional Commissioner, Barddhaman Division is one of the oldest Government Buildings in continuous use in West Bengal. The original structure dates back to the 1670s. It was renovated and extended in 1840. 

                   Click here

 

 

 

RESIDENCE OF DIVISIONAL COMMISSIONER,
BARDHAMAN DIVISION

top  

 

Click here

 



Among the cultural organizations of the district, the most important is the “Institute De Chandannagar” is State-managed (Education Department) and recognized by the Government of India and France. The residence of the rest while French Administrator was set apart as an union property for locating the cultural centre but the supposed lack of French interest a pancity of French surveyors led to an alternate proposed being mooted in March 1955 for having a municipal museum. In February 1965 Mosieur Pompidre, the French Prime Minister by discussion with Lal Bahadur Sastri mutually agreed to set up the cultural centre in Indo-French collaboration not merely for the parochial benefit of Chandannagar, but for the Eastern India as a whole in 1966.  

CHANDANNAGORE
MUSEUM & INDO
FRENCH INSTITUTE

The library and reading room was started with the donated book of Harihar Sett, a prominent citizen of Chandannagar alongwith a separate children corner. In 1956 the art gallery and museum was already started. The museum contains exhibits connected with local history of Chandannagar things used by Duplix including a marble bust of him, various crafts and archaeological evident lain discovered in the District since the Gupta period. The library is indeed a rich storehouse of information relating to the administration of the last while French pockets in India. 

           top

     

A beautiful tourist spot along the banks of the river Ganges. It is a superbly decorated pavement studded with lights surrounded by lushly green trees. It is about 1km in length and 7 m in width, and many buildings with historical importance surround the spot. It is very popular visiting spot of the local people and the tourists would love to stroll along enjoying the mild breeze and watching the small boats sail by. Along the strand are present Vivekananda Mandir(a meditation centre) and a protruding structure into the river Ganges. This is supposed to be the best decorated bank of the river along its entire length of 2500 km.

Click here

 Chandernagore Strand  

top

Click here

  Chandernagore Church

The beautiful church stands over for two centuries to mark the beauty of the architecture during the French period - a good place to visit for the historians and tourists. The remains of the church at St. Louis is also an attractive tourist spot.

 

                                                                                                      top

The Underground House (Patal Bari) 

The building is another beautiful example of the advancement in the knowledge of architecture and the aesthetic sense of the people of those earlier days. Its lowest floor is submerged in the river Ganges. The great social reformer Iswar Chandra VidyaSagar and Nobel laureate Rabindra Nath Tagore stayed in this house during their visits to Chandernagore.

                                                                                                                                           top

It was built in 1740 by IndraNararayan Choudhury presents an excellent example of ancient Indian Sculptures. There are many fascinating temples devoted to Kali, Siva and other deities, which show marks of brilliant craftsmanship and artistic taste.

 

Click here
Nandadulal temple 

  top